To access the General Settings menu, click Settings in the top right corner and then select General Settings.
The following options are available from the General Settings menu:
- Launch application when Windows starts. This is useful if you plan on using the program frequently or in situations where launching your system is problematic and you want to scan and fix items immediately.
- Automatically start scan when application starts. An automatic scan when you launch can save you a step so as to detect items immediately. We recommend using this once you have selected the registry and privacy scan settings of your choice.
- Create restore point before fixing items. This setting is on by default. We recommend having this enabled so that you can restore your system to a previous state should your computer not be functioning as expected. See Restore for more information about managing and manually creating restore points.
Note: The system restore point option is available for Windows 7, Windows 8, 8.1 also for Windows 10
- Automatically start fixing items after scan. This setting is best used after you have a good understanding of the program and have customized all application settings. It is also useful when used in conjunction with scheduled scans.
- Display Exit options when clicking the Close “X” button. This setting is on by default. It is useful if you want to confirm your intention of exiting the program or minimizing it to the system tray. See Start and Exit the Program for more information. To prevent the Exit Options dialog from appearing, clear the check box.
- Minimize to the system tray instead of exiting. When General Setting 5 is checked, the setting to minimize to the system tray is disabled (grayed out). You can clear General Setting 5 and then check this setting to minimize to the system tray. In this instance the Main window is closed, the program remains running in the background, and the program icon remains available in the system tray. This information is covered in: Start and Exit the Program. You can also find out about other settings in the Program Window page.
- Show Product News when application starts. Product News is primarily used to notify you of relevant information such as product and database updates including Privacy whitelist updates, active processes updates, and feature updates. This setting is on by default.
- Turn off Registration Reminder. If you have not registered the product, a small dialog window appears periodically above the system tray reminding you to register the product. This setting, when checked, will turn off the reminder.
Note: This setting only appears if you are running an unregistered version of the program.
You will receive a popup message in the system tray when the following settings are enabled.
- Notify me when malware processes are detected. Applications load processes when you start your system. Processes are instances of a software program running on a system. See the Process Information page to find out more. If the program detects any processes that have been generated from malware at startup or whenever the Processes list is refreshed, you will receive a notification. A popup message is displayed from the system tray and you can click it to initiate a scan. By doing so you will be able to remove the malware. By default this setting is enabled.